Water Water Everywhere
NOAA (National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration) says that only 3% of the Earth's water is fresh (the remaining 97% is salty ocean). Of that 3%, nearly 70% is frozen in the form of glaciers and icecaps, 90% of which is in Antarctica and 9% in Greenland.
Confused yet? Let's break it down: Only 3% of the water in the world is freshwater -- the stuff we need to stay alive. Of that small percentage, 99% is locked up in ice, and only 1% is in groundwater, rivers, and lakes. A tiny amount (0.1% of all water) is found in the atmosphere.
The United States Geological Society (USGS) explains it this way: of the world's total water supply of about 332.5 million cubic miles of water, over 96 percent is saline. And, of the total freshwater, over 68 percent is locked up in ice and glaciers. Another 30 percent of freshwater is in the ground.
Rivers and lakes are the source of most of the fresh surface water people use, but they only constitute about 300 cubic miles, about 1/10,000th of one percent of total water.
Only 1/10,000th of 1% of all of the Earth's freshwater is readily accessible for us to use, so we better take good care of that tiny slice of the pie!
We all have a responsibility to make sure the world has fresh water available for future generations
You probably already know a lot of great ways to conserve the freshwater we oh so critically need. As a refresher, visit the EPA's website for a few tips.
Mimi's Nice Ice is committed to sustainable practices, and making sure our business is a positive influence for water conservation. You could say that water is our business!
Did You Know?
The Great Lakes are the largest surface freshwater system on the Earth. Only the polar ice caps contain more fresh water.
Lake Baikal in Siberia is another big source of freshwater. It is 25 million years old and around 5,500 feet (almost 2 miles!) deep, which makes it the world's oldest and deepest lake.
Check out some Lake Baikal musical magic:
Want to know more about the world's water? Visit NOAA or USGS.